DOLE aids family of OFW killed in QC

Date Posted: March 14th, 2017 02:08 PM

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) through the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) will extend more than Php 235,000.00 in cash benefits and assistance to the family of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who was killed by 10 college students in Quezon City early this month.

Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III ordered OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac to facilitate and immediately process the release of the assistance to the family of Abigail Gino Espina Basas.

“The labor department sincerely extends its condolences to the family of Mr. Basas. We assure them the full support of the government as we fast-track the release of benefits for the bereaved family,” Bello said.

Basas, 28, was working as a photographer in a cruise ship in Australia. He arrived last month on a vacation and was due to return to his job abroad.

Cacdac noted that for being an active member of OWWA, the family of Basas will receive the full coverage of the agency’s programs and services that include P200,000.00 for insurance benefit; P20,000.00 for burial, as well as the scholarship component of the Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) to his sibling, brother or sister who are below 21 years old; and P15,000.00 for his parents since Basas was single.

Basas was allegedly mauled by a group of 10 students last March 4 at the parking area of the Perfect Spot Bar and Billiards in Quezon City. Reports said the victim was immediately brought to a nearby hospital but died after succumbing to multiple fatal blows and head trauma.

Basas would be turning 29 on April 2.

OWWA officials are coordinating with the family of Basas on the benefits they will be receiving and to discuss other assistance that the labor department, through OWWA can offer.

#Paul Ang with reports from OWWA

 

    Search Jobs
  • Phil-JobNet Logo