Labor and Employment Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz yesterday said that good weather permitting, the DOLE regional office in Eastern Visayas is re-establishing its footing, albeit slowly, with the help of the contingent teams now in place to assist the regional staff.
“The contingent teams in Tacloban City have started relief operation for the employees of the DOLE and for member-agencies of the Regional Coordinating Committee, in coordination with other government units and DOLE Tacloban.
Baldoz also said the four DOLE teams sent to Tacloban to restore regional operations are now in place. The teams are from the DOLE in the National Capital Region headed by Rey Sangay; DOLE Caraga headed by Regional Director Johnson Canete; DOLE Region 5 led by Regional Director Nathaniel Lacambra; and DOLE Region 7 led by Regional Director Chona M. Mantilla.
Baldoz announced that a fifth team, headed by DOLE Regional Director Raymundo Agravante, is on the way to reinforce the contingent group on-site. “Undersecretary Rebecca Chato is the top DOLE official supervising and coordinating DOLE efforts in Eastern Visayas,” she said.
“The priority of the contingent teams is to locate employees of the DOLE and member-agencies of the Regional Coordinating Council and ensure their safety and welfare. After that, they should already reach out to our clients, our worker-victims,” added Baldoz.
She also announced the following names and contact details of focal persons who may be contacted for DOLE programs and services:
(1) DOLE Regional Office No. 8, Assistant Regional Director Cyril Ticao (satphone) /Roy Buenafe, 0939-190-4969;
(2) Philippine Overseas Employment Administration;
(3) Occupational Safety and Health Center, Jehremias Florante, 0917-865-5605;
(4) Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, 437-456; 481-4503; 0917-813-0867; Norma del Rosario, 0916-594-5715;
(5) National Conciliation and Mediation Board, Juanito Quiamson, 0919-470-0025;
(6) Regional Tripartite Wage and Productivity Board, Region 7 Board Secretary Grace Carreon, (032)266-8068; (032)412-9072
(7) National Maritime Polytechnic, Executive Director Forter Puguon, 0928-862-0012 or 0929-643-7098;
(8) National Labor Relations Commission, Amelia Ducena, 0917-891-1173, and
(9) Technical Education and Skills Development Authority, Region 8 Director Glenda Omega, 0915-747-3140;
“As soon as we have rebuilt our office infrastructure and re-established regional operation, we will go full blast in reviving the provision of our programs and services to all our clients,” said Baldoz.
“Our priority would be the emergency employment for displaced workers using the P50 million we have re-aligned, under which beneficiaries will be hired at regional minimum wage rate for not less than 15 days,” she finally said.