News Release
Department of Labor and Employment
November 15, 2021

Bello ramps up workers aid; drops Senate bid

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III yesterday vowed to intensify the government’s assistance to workers following his decision to drop his senatorial bid.

Bello said he would rather help the needy workers displaced by the pandemic than to participate in next year’s elections.

“I find it urgent to address the needs of our displaced workers so I’m no longer participating in the polls,” he said.

Bello said it’s important that the amelioration program of the government reaches all workers, including the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).

Following his decision to stay as chief of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Bello also vowed to help the employment rate recover from the crises brought by COVID-19.

“That is also one of my priorities in keeping my job in DOLE. We need to bring back the jobs our workers lost because of the global outbreak,” he said.

Bello earlier said he would seek for a slot in the higher chamber if Presidential daughter Sara Duterte would run as president.

However, Duterte recently filed her certificate of candidacy as vice president.

Bello said he would rather continue his tasks in DOLE and the International Labour Organization (ILO) where he currently chairs the government group.

After presiding the ILO conference last month in Switzerland, Bello said he plans to further push for the UN body’s democratization in a conference set on November 25 this year.

“I will definitely continue advocating for a more democratic ILO so that all nations including the small ones can voice out their respective advocacies,” Bello said.

The labor chief also apologized to his supporters for the Senate, saying his decision was for the greater good of the workers and the people. ###

===========================================

Bello mas palalakasin tulong sa mga manggagawa; isinantabi pagtakbo sa Senado 

Nangako kahapon si Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III na mas palalakasin pa ng pamahalaan ang tulong nito para sa mga manggagawa kasunod ng desisyon nitong isantabi ang kanyang pagtakbo sa Senado.

Sinabi ni Bello na mas gugustuhin niya pang tulungan ang mga nangangailangang manggagawa na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa pandemya kaysa lumahok sa halalan sa susunod na taon.

“Nakikita ko na mas dapat tugunan ang pangangailangan ng mga manggagawang nawalan ng trabaho kaya hindi na ako lalahok sa eleksiyon,” wika niya.

Sinabi ni Bello na mahalagang maiparating ang mga programa ng pamahalaan sa lahat ng manggagawa, kabilang ang mga overseas Filipino worker (OFW).

Kasunod ng kanyang desisyon na manatili bilang Kalihim ng Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), nangako rin si Bello na gagawin ang lahat upang makabawi ang employment rate mula sa mga krisis na dala ng Covid-19.

“Ito ang isa sa aking mga prayoridad sa aking pananatili sa DOLE. Kailangan nating ibalik ang mga trabahong nawala sa ating mga manggagawa dahil sa global outbreak,” pahayag niya.

Nauna nang sinabi ni Bello na tatakbo siya bilang senador kung tatakbo bilang presidente si Sara Duterte.

Gayunpaman, naghain kamakailan si Duterte ng certificate of candidacy bilang bise-presidente.

Sinabi ni Bello na mas nanaisin niyang ipagpatuloy ang kanyang mga tungkulin sa DOLE at sa International Labour Organization (ILO) kung saan siya ang kasalukuyang namumuno sa government group.

Matapos pangunahan ang ILO conference noong nakaraang buwan sa Switzerland, sinabi ni Bello na plano niyang higit pang itulak ang demokratisasyon sa kinatawan ng UN sa pagpupulong na nakatakda sa Nobyembre 25 ngayong taon.

“Aking ipagpapatuloy ang pagtataguyod para sa mas demokratikong ILO upang ang lahat ng bansa kasama ang mga maliliit ay makapagpahayag ng kani-kanilang adbokasiya,” sabi ni Bello.

Humingi ng paumanhin ang Kalihim sa kanyang mga taga-suporta para sa Senado, at sinabi na ang kanyang desisyon ay para sa higit na ikabubuti ng mga manggagawa at mamamayan. ###

 

 

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry