Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III yesterday ordered agencies to provide a package of assistance to the family of Jakatia Pawa, the overseas Filipino worker who was executed in Kuwait.
“We join Jakatia’s family in grief which was made more painful with the abrupt execution of Jakatia,” said Bello, who is in Rome for the 3rd round of talks with the CPP-NPA-NDF.
Bello instructed the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to fast-track the delivery of welfare assistance, including the provision of psycho-social counselling, to Pawa’s family.
The bereaved family of Pawa will be given financial assistance of P120,000, including P20,000 in funeral assistance. The Jakatia’s two children will also be provided with college scholarship.
OWWA Administrator Hans Leo J. Cacdac said he is flying to Zamboanga del Norte today to visit and condole with Pawa’s family and determine what other assistance may be given.
Bello said the Philippine government has undertaken and exhausted all diplomatic and legal efforts, and extended consular and legal assistance to save the life of Pawa.
“The government provided her with all necessary assistance and ensured that her legal rights were observed throughout the whole process,” Bello said.
According to Cacdac, the government hired two law firms to represent Jakatia and has also sought the assistance of the King of Spain, who is a friend of the Emir of Kuwait, to convince him to commute the sentence for humanitarian reasons. It also engaged the services of a lawyer to negotiate the payment of blood money (diyah) with the victims’ family in exchange for an Affidavit of Forgiveness (tanazul).
Jakatia worked as a domestic helper in Kuwait in 2002. Her local agent was Non-Stop Overseas Employment Corporation which deployed her to her employer, Fathiya Nasser Galoum Abdullah.
On April 13, 2008, Jakatia was sentenced to death by the Court of the First Instance in Kuwait for allegedly killing her employer’s 22-year-old daughter while she was asleep on May 14, 2007. The victim died of 28 stab wounds.
On January 19, 2010, Kuwait’s Court of Cessation upheld the death verdict handed down by the Court of First Instance. Jakatia however denied the crime and maintained her innocence.
The two verdicts were handed down, despite the defense of Jakatia that her fingerprint was absent from the crime scene and the blood stains found did not match her blood samples.
The 32-year-old household service worker had been working for her employer for five years prior to the incident.