Labor Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III yesterday said the labor department is looking into the possibility of imposing a temporary suspension of deployment of Filipino household service workers in Kuwait.

 

Bello said there has been growing calls for a moratorium due to the abuses experienced by OFWs, particularly female household service workers.

 

“We are taking this call for a moratorium seriously. We will conduct consultations with our partners and other government agencies,” said Bello who flew to Kuwait from Rome to check on the status of another Filipino on death row. Elpidio Lano was meted the death sentence by the Kuwait Court of First Instance for killing a fellow Filipino, Nilo Macaranas on June 17, 2014

 

“We will make a decision on the proposed moratorium soon,” he said, adding there is urgent need to curb unfortunate incidents befalling Filipino workers.

 

Bello added: “Our OFWs leave the country with the promise of a better life for their families, unfortunately they are confronted with their worst nightmare in these countries.”

 

Meanwhile, the labor chief directed the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) to fast-track the facilitation of documents needed by the family of Jakatia Pawa for them to visit her grave in Kuwait.

 

“We will give them all the assistance they needed if and when the family decides to go to Kuwait,” Bello said.

 

Pawa’s family have yet to decide when to leave for Kuwait. “Inaantay lang ang kanilang desisyon kung kalian nila gustong magpunta ng Kuwait. Kami ay narito naman para asikasuhin ang kanilang pangangailangan,” he said.

 

Bello added that he had already instructed the OWWA to expedite the provision of financial and livelihood assistance to the family of Pawa. ### letmaring

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry