The ‘Best PESO’ Awards Night or the recognition of the Public Employment Service Offices (PESO) which have demonstrated exemplary and remarkable performance in the year 2015 highlighted the conduct of the 16th National PESO Congress at the Waterfront Hotel in Lahug, Cebu City.
“We do not have superpowers, but we take on this huge responsibility humbly, wholeheartedly, and sincerely. Win or lose, all PESO nominees in this year’s Congress are victors. The contributions you make are valued and treasured by the DOLE,” said Regional Director Exequiel Sarcauga of DOLE Central Visayas, the host region of this year’s National PESO Congress.
The Best PESO Awards Night is the culmination of the Search for the Best PESO, an annual activity that recognizes the significant contributions and outstanding accomplishments of PESOs in the implementation of DOLE employment facilitation programs.
Out of the 46 PESO entries received by the DOLE’s Bureau of Local Employment (BLE), 35 made it to the final list. The PESOs which have qualified were then rated on the following criteria: core services–60 points, DOLE programs–15 points, institutionalization–15 points, awards received–5 points, and active involvement–5 points.
The Best PESO Awards for the year 2015 has 8 categories: Fifth and Sixth Class Municipality Category, with two nominees; Third and Fourth Class Municipality Category, with three nominees; First and Second Class Municipality, with nine nominees; Second Class Province Category, with one nominee; First Class Province Category, with seven nominees; Component City Category, with five nominees; Highly Urbanized City Category, with four nominees; and Educational Institution, Non-Government Organization, State Universities and Colleges Category, with four nominees.
Nine PESOs emerged as winners. They are as follows:
(1) Fifth and Sixth Class Municipality–Cordillera Administrative Region, PESO San Juan, Abra;
(2) Third and Fourth Class Municipality–Region 11, PESO Magsaysay, Davao del Sur; and Region 2, PESO Cordon, Isabela;
(3) First and Second Class Municipality–Region 3, PESO Masinloc, Zambales;
(4) Second Class Province–Region 8, PESO Northern Samar;
(5) First Class Province–Region 6, PESO Iloilo;
(6) Component City – Region 11, PESO Panabo City, Davao del Norte;
(7) Highly Urbanized City – Region 7, PESO Cebu City; and
(8) Educational Institution, Non-Government Organization, State Universities and Colleges – Region 11, University of Mindanao, Tagum City.
The University of Mindanao in Tagum City, having received awards for three consecutive national PESO Congresses, was elevated to the PESO Hall of Fame, with DOLE Secretary Silvestre H. Bello III personally handing the award to the new hall of famer.
After the awarding of the best PESOs, Regional Director Exequiel Sarcauga handed over the symbol of hosting the next National PESO Congress to Regional Director Raymundo Agravante of DOLE Regional Office No. 10.
Attended by more than 1,000 delegates nationwide, this year’s congress, which was the first under the administration of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte, was anchored on the theme, “Pinagtibay na Bagong PESO: Tulay sa Pag-asenso sa Buhay ng Manggagawang Pilipino.