News Release
Department of Labor and Employment                                                            
May 30, 2020

2nd Pinoy in Ireland said to die from Covid not OFW

The 55-year old widowed father of five from Naas, County Kildare, Ireland who was reported to have been the second Filipino in Ireland to die from COVID-19, is an Irish citizen and not an OFW.

Labor Undersecretary Renato L. Ebarle made the clarification on Friday following reports that a certain Miguel Plangca, a Filipino worker in Ireland, had died of COVID-19.

On validation made by the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in London, United Kingdom last May 27, 2020, Ebarle said that Plangca was a native of Ozamis City, Mizamis Occidental. He had been in Ireland for 20 years and worked in a food factory known as Birds Eye Foods.

It was further reported that Plangca was an Irish citizen and opted not to re-acquire Philippine citizenship under the dual citizenship law.

Plangca battled the dreadful disease in the intensive care unit for 41 days before he succumbed to the virus, which was six years after his wife died of colon cancer.

He is survived by his five children and a sister who is married to an Irish.

To help Plangca’s children during this difficult time, the Filipino community in Ireland started a drive to raise money through the GoFundMe page, a platform built on the generosity of individuals around the globe.

About 281,000 Euros or Php 61 Million has been raised so far, more than sufficient to aid for the Plangca children. #### Connie C. Gonzales

 

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry